Where To Go From Here

Monday, February 6, 2012

Weekend Comic Book Update (for 06 February 2012)

American Vampire #23 (Death Race, Part Two Of Four)

We learn a little more about Travis and his upbringing as he and Skinner Sweet play a game of chicken while racing towards a cliff's edge.

Again, Scott Snyder delivers a great story with interesting and compelling characters in the American Vampire lore. Set in the 50s, this current story arch has a James Dean enemy to the vampires who is tracking down Sweet specifically.


Though I think, for me at least, that having Skinner as the villain again is starting to feel like the television series "Heroes" with Sylar. We have a great premise for building up a stable of bad guys. So why not go after someone else or else develop a new big bad? I loved the American Indian vampire in the cave from the last story, and would love to see more of them explored.

Green Lantern: New Guardians #5 (The Orrery)

The events in this issue all take place prior to Red Lanterns #3.

We have the return of the extra-dimensional beings from  Final Crisis. And Kyle Rayner leads the team of lanterns from each of the other corps into the vortex.

A nice development story. We learn a little bit more about a few of the lanterns. We go back inside the Orrery from Final Crisis and find some species kept in world-sized containers. And we learn that Larfleeze isn't very popular there either.

I especially love the artwork of Tyler Kirkham. But I'm not too thrilled with the return of multi-dimensional beings. I think it's too early in the New 52 to bring such elements back that can be way too confusing.

Justice League #5 (Justice League Part Five)

The newly, though loosely, formed League take their first steps towards fighting their newly revealed foe, Darkseid. Superman gets his ass whipped, Flash tries to save the Man of Steel, and Batman takes off his cowl.

All in all a great, action filled issue. Though I'm still a little confused as to why the Batman ditches his cape and cowl to go after Darkseid's minions when they take Superman away.

Jim Lee's artwork is incredible, as always. And his full page image of Apokalypse was more than stunning. I love his characters and the fluidity in their motion.

No comments: